Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can!




CONSTANTINE MAROULIS IN 'ROCK OF AGES'NJ.com interviewed Season 4 Idol finalist CONSTANTINE MAROULIS, who is starring in "Rock of Ages" now on an open-ended run at the New World Stages in New York.

The '80s rock musical features many familiar songs -- including Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" -- all performed by a live rock band. It's a lively, funny, love story about a guy and a girl who have dreams of making it big in L.A.

What did you learn from being on "American Idol" that has helped you in theater?
It taught me how to work and manage an audience better. With 50 million plus a week you learn fast to stick with what is working just to get through it.

Which do you prefer and why: Band, solo or ensemble?
I love them all. Picking is difficult. I just enjoy the creative process -- the avenue is irrelevant.

How do you relate to your character in "Rock of Ages?"
In many ways I was a guy like him when I was in school. We all have dreams and aspirations so I tried to reach back to when I was younger to get that feeling again.

What's your favorite part of being in this rock musical?
I must say that it really is the cast and the friendships I have made here. I am blessed to work with all of them. It is that sense that we are all together and a part of something very special. The crew and band rule too!!

It's such a high energy show -- how are you able to keep the energy up for every performance?
I try to get my rest, do the basics and eat right. That aside I have found that breathing and lots of Xbox 360 really helps. Oh...and I'm sorta part alien.

Besides poking fun at LA, what do you think Jersey 80's music fans will enjoy about the show?
I lived in Jersey for a massive part of my life which is why I know they will love the show. Jersey is the most awesome state there is. We have everything. Simply put it is all the songs they love wrapped into a love story, how can ya beat that?

Are you a fan of 80s rock?
I worship it, nothing like a big, sugar covered, hook ridden chorus to "...really pumps my nads!" (to quote "The Breakfast Club")

Since you are a Jerseyan in an 80s musical, what's your favorite Bon Jovi song?
"Runaway"Their first hit. It was on their original demo for labels.

e-mail Idol Addict
© 2008

No comments: