Friday, February 16, 2007

Getting to Know the Top 24: Part 1

Part 1 of a series of profiles and videos of the Top 24 semi-finalists:

AJ TABALDO
Age: 22
Hometown: Santa Maria, CA
Audition City: Los Angeles
Details: He is a supervisor for a shipping service
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Brian McKnight, Justin Timberlake, Stevie Wonder
Favorite female pop artists? Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson
Formal singing training? No
Other talents? I cut my own hair.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Keep on keepin’ on—keep pursuing music
Personal goals? To have a successful music career, get married and have kids.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Josh Groban
Your American idol? My mom and dad.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? Pray and relax.
Most embarrassing moments? Forgetting the words to the National Anthem and humming the rest of the song.
Proudest moment? Making it on American Idol and being one step closer to my dream.
Your definition of an American Idol? Someone who is talented, makes an impact on the world, and is HUMBLE.
Favorite judge and why? All of them are my favorite.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I’m an ethnic mutt! I’m part Filipino and Portuguese with Spanish, French, Italian and Chinese.
How has this changed your life? It hasn’t quite yet—I’m still the same ol’ dude.
Lucky charms? No
Heroes? My parents…they have molded me into who I am today. They are great!
Toughest obstacle? Losing a loved one.
Was the audition process fair? Yes … but there were a lot of good people who didn’t make it.
If you win, who will you thank first? God.

ALAINA ALEXANDER
Age: 24
Hometown: West Hollywood, CA
Audition City: Los Angeles
Details: Has been pursuing a career in music but almost gave up her dream until she made it on Idol.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Beatles
Favorite female pop artists? Mariah Carey
Formal singing training? I did choir in high school for one year.
Other talents? I’m also a songwriter and I can burp really good.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? aybe go to school, I don’t really know.
Personal goals? To be happy, healthy and live life to its fullest.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Michael Bublé
Your American idol? My mama
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? Jump up and down and say a prayer.
Most embarrassing moments? Every time I fall in front of people gets me embarrassed. I’m clumsy.
Proudest moment? Making it this far on the show.
Your definition of an American Idol? Honest, humble and talented.
Favorite judge and why? Simon 'cause he keeps it real.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I’m pretty mellow.
How has this changed your life? Well nothing too crazy has happened yet.
Lucky charms? A guitar charm necklace KT my best friend got me.
Heroes? My mom and boyfriend.
Toughest obstacle? Getting over insecurities.
Was the audition process fair? I don’t think a lot of it was fair, but life in general isn’t really fair.
If you win, who will you thank first? My family.

AMY KREBS
Age: 22
Hometown: Federal Way, WA
Audition City: Seattle
Details: Attended the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City; she is fluent in German and lived in Germany for three years.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Gavin DeGraw, John Legend, Justin Timberlake
Favorite female pop artists? Mariah, Christina Aguilera, Corrine Bailey Rae
Formal singing training? AMDA – musical theatre training in New York
Other talents? I dance (kinda), act, play basketball and volleyball
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Keep working on getting an album put together
Personal goals? I’d love to own a women’s clothing boutique and work with adoption centers and homes for girls.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Spice Girls, LOL
Your American idol? My mom
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? I get really quiet and go over the song in my head.
Most embarrassing moments? I trip ALL the time.
Proudest moment? Moving to New York right out of high school
Your definition of an American Idol? Someone who has a killer voice, great onstage presence, is personable and who America likes.
Favorite judge and why? Paula. She makes you feel confident and supported on the stage.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I lived in Germany for 3 years and speak German.
How has this changed your life? It’s made all the school and sacrifices WORTH IT!
Lucky charms? Faith
Heroes? My mom and dad
Toughest obstacle? Moving to NY and having to live on my own without knowing anybody there.
Was the audition process fair? Yes
If you win, who will you thank first? God and my mom.

ANTONELLA BARBA
Age: 20
Hometown: Point Pleasant, NJ
Audition City: New York
Details: Attends Catholic University in Washington, D.C., pursuing an architecture degree; once toured with the Monmouth Conservatory of Music in England.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake
Favorite female pop artists? Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, JoJo
Formal singing training? No
Other talents? Violin, piano
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Finish school
Personal goals? Be happy, no matter what I end up doing.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Josh Groban
Your American idol? Amanda, cuz she gave me the encouragement and support to get here
Any rituals or things you do each time before you perform? Pray
Most embarrassing moments? Saying the wrong things before I think
Proudest moment? Making it through the first cut, the biggest cut so far, with my best friend
Your definition of an American Idol? A role model for talent
Favorite judge and why? Simon. He tells it how it is, but only if you set yourself up for it.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I win eating competitions.
How has this changed your life? This is the first time I haven’t been in school ever.
Lucky charms? Only with milk.
Heroes? Walt Disney
Toughest obstacle? Defeating stereotypes
Was the audition process fair? Not entirely, come on, it’s reality TV.
If you win, who will you thank first? God

BLAKE LEWIS
Age: 25
Hometown: Bothell, WA
Audition City: Seattle
Details: Began “beat boxing” in his senior year of high school; was a member of a youth choir group that traveled to Europe.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Robbin Thicke, Jamaroqui, Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, U2, Gnarls Barkley, Half Past Forever, Michael Jackson, Prince, Sting, Eric Benet, Martin Sexton, Duncan Sheik, M-Pact
Favorite female pop artists? Bjork, Fiona Apple, Imogen Heap, Estmerd, Jill Scott, Tori Amos, Ella Fitzgerald, Sade
Formal singing training? Yes
Other talents? Photography, songwriting, producing, characters kisser.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Music-perform.
Personal goals? Tour the world, play SNL.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? K-Fed.
Your American idol? Chris Sligh, Rudy Cardenas
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? I go pee, stretch out.
Most embarrassing moments? Ripping my pants (crotch) on stage.
Proudest moment? My first steps.
Your definition of an American Idol? Someone who is a great talent and who communicates well with the audience.
Favorite judge and why? Randy: he’s the musician.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I have many tattoos.
How has this changed your life? Ask me again in a year.
Lucky charms? 2 of them.
Heroes? Mom and Dad.
Toughest obstacle? The obstacles of life.
Was the audition process fair? Yes.
If you win, who will you thank first? Mom and Dad.

BRANDON ROGERS
Age: 28
Hometown: North Hollywood, CA
Audition City: Los Angeles
Details: Spent six years in Dallas; works as a voice coach, wedding singer and background singer. His mother is a published songwriter.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Stevie Wonder
Favorite female pop artists? Beyonce
Formal singing training? Lessons in college.
Other talents? Play piano, XBOX racing games.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Keep going after my dreams.
Personal goals? To make great music and a difference in the world and my community.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Cherry Poppin' Daddies.
Your American idol? My parents.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? Take a deep breath, look up, and exhale.
Most embarrassing moments? n/a
Proudest moment? Finishing my CD.
Your definition of an American Idol? Someone who represents the American dream of anything can happen through hard work and risk.
Favorite judge and why? Randy -- true musician who knows good and great.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I love Country music.
How has this changed your life? Given me access to more people than I ever thought possible.
Lucky charms? Nope.
Heroes? My parents.
Toughest obstacle? Getting back on my feet after my boyband disbanded.
Was the audition process fair? As fair as any show can be.
If you win, who will you thank first? Mom and Dad.

THE BIGGEST THING EVER ON IDOL

In an interview with TV Week Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said that there will be a major announcement to the press regarding Idol within the next couple of weeks:

" ... please, please look towards a major news announcement in the next couple of weeks. ... It's the biggest thing that's happened to "Idol" in five years. But it does include "American Idol" and it does include America."

What's your guess? We think it'll have something to do with Paul McCartney.

Commenting on some of this year's semi-finalists, Lythgoe said:

"Well I think we've got some great characters again this year. I think Chris Sligh has got a lot of humor…I think our little beat boxer [Blake Lewis] is very talented, not just in beat-boxing, but in singing as well. Sundance [Head], I think, did not show his best in Hollywood and I think the judges forgave him a lot, in truth, and sort of remembered him from his first audition. It's a shame they didn't do that with Bailey [Brown]."

Lythgoe also quashed speculation that Michael Jackson will be appearing on the show this season:

"No. It's not true, is what I can say, just not true. ... No, we won't be seeing him. ... I much prefer, rather than teasing anybody with it, that the fact is he [Michael Jackson] will not be on "American Idol."

IDOL'S TOP DIVAS

MSNBC reports that Star Magazine is calling Taylor Hicks "American Idol's" newest diva. "The minute Taylor made the top 24, he became difficult and he seemed to get worse over time," a source told the tab. All the male contestants on the show became friends — except Hicks. "He was conceited and cold," according to the insider. "Once he was in the top eight, I think he no longer wanted to be on the show."

Some examples cited by Star: When in the top 10, Taylor didn’t want a bodyguard to accompany him to the men’s room as required and reportedly told one to "[bleep] off"; Hicks refused to go to photo shoots and he wouldn’t speak to others in the show’s green room.

But Star says Taylor still doesn't out-diva Paula Abdul, whose antics include being followed around by three hair stylists and periodically having one of them carry her pampered pooch, as well as and going through a slew of assistants. "She seems really difficult," an "insider" told Star. "She’s had a ton of assistants in five seasons."

TRISTATE IDOLS

Fox/5 News in New York interviewed semi-finalists from the New York tristate area after Wednesday night's show, including Jared Cotter (Coram, N.Y.), Antonella Barba (Point Pleasant, N.J.) and Sabrina Sloan (a native New Yorker now living in Studio City, Calif.). You can watch the video here. Select "Idol Chatter: Tristate 'Idol' Contenders."

IS FANTASIA'S COLOR PURPLE?

According to Celebrity Spider, Season 3 Idol-winner Fantasia Barrino is taking steps to join the Broadway cast of "The Color Purple." Sources claim Barrino is in negotiations to play Miss Celie in the stage production, the role portayed by Whoopi Goldberg, who received an Academy Award nomination, in film. Barrino is touted to replace LaChanze, who won a Tony Award for her part in the Oprah Winfrey-produced stage show.

It's somewhat surprising if true, as critics decried that Barrino wasn't even convincing portraying herself in the nevertheless ratings-grabbing 2006 Lifetime cable film "Life Is Not a Fairytale: The Fantasia Barrino Story."

e-mail Idol Addict
© 2007

No comments: