Monday, February 19, 2007

Getting to Know the Top 24: Part 4

PHIL STACEY
Age: 29
Hometown: Jacksonville, FL
Audition City: Memphis
Details: Grew up in Cincinnati; has a degree in vocal performance and is a singer in the Navy; married with two children.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Prince, Sting, Michael Jackson, Timberlake, Robbie Williams, James Taylor and, of course, Sir Paul McCartney
Favorite female pop artists? Vienna Teng, Sheryl Crow, Anastasia, Paula Abdul
Formal singing training? I do — I took lessons in college.
Other talents? I like to draw. I also play piano, guitar, bass, and drums. I also enjoy writing songs and producing independent projects.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? I don’t even know — probably just curl up in a big ball and cry myself to sleep.
Personal goals? To be a good husband and father, and to get a PhD so people can call me Dr. Phil.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Frank Sinatra ... "Live at the Sands" maybe ... I don’t know. I’m pretty musically diverse so I doubt they'd be surprised with anything.
Your American idol? My wife, Kendra — she’s hot.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? I ask God to help me do my best. I also cough a lot every time I perform. It’s a nervous tick.
Most embarrassing moments? I sang at the U.T.K. Arena in front of 25,000 people and forgot the song on stage — lesson learned — won’t be repeated on A.I.
Proudest moment? Marrying the most amazing woman on the planet and then, of course, meeting my babies.
Your definition of an American Idol? Someone from the U.S. whom people idolize. I guess technically they could be from South America or Canada, too.
Favorite judge and why? Probably Randy because he’s the first one of them to believe in me — but they're all really cool. Paula is amazing.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I had a car stolen from me at gunpoint when I was in high school. But it was very nice of the guy not to shoot me, so I'm not entirely bitter.
How has this changed your life? I'm probably more famous. I'm also exercising now to look a little better on TV.
Lucky charms? My friends bought me a trophy of a guy singing into a mic that looked just like me. The head popped off of it on the way to Hollywood week, but it still served me well.
Heroes? My parents and my in-laws—both excellent examples of genuine integrity.
Toughest obstacle? Making it through round one ... sad but true.
Was the audition process fair? There are moments that seemed jacked up to me, but overall, it is absolutely the best way to conduct a competition on this scale.
If you win, who will you thank first? Maybe the girl who almost passed on me the first audition day but ended up sending me through, but probably God. Yeah, I'll go with God.

RUDY CARDENAS
Age: 28
Hometown: North Hollywood, CA
Audition City: Seattle
Details: Was born in Venezuela, grew up in Denver; has a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance from the University of Northern Colorado.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Freddie Mercury, Marc Anthony, Eric Benet, Maroon 5, Stevie Wonder, Rascall Flats, Steve Perry
Favorite female pop artists? Gloria Estefen, Mariah Carey, Sade, Ella Fitzgerald
Formal singing training? Yes, I've been lucky to have some great teachers.
Other talents? I play the sax and piano, Texas Hold 'Em, golf, basketball, tennis, football ... oh wait, did you mean good talents?
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Continue my musical career with my group M-Pact.
Personal goals? To unconditionally love my wife, family, friends and myself. To put out real, inspired, smart music.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Michael Bolton.
Your American idol? Chris Sligh, Blake Lewis and Michael Bolton.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? I breathe and think about my wife.
Most embarrassing moments? You don't want to know.
Proudest moment? She said "yes."
Your definition of an American Idol? Anyone who is true to themselves.
Favorite judge and why? Randy because he is an incredible bass player.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I'm afraid of heights and hate cauliflower.
How has this changed your life? Ask me again in May
Lucky charms? Yes.
Heroes? My parents.
Toughest obstacle? Stereotypes and racism.
Was the audition process fair? Hmmm ...
If you win, who will you thank first? My wife and family.

SABRINA SLOAN
Age: 27
Hometown: Studio City, CA
Audition City: Minneapolis
Details: Attended Northwestern University's music and theater program; has performed with the touring production of "Hairspray."
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Sting! Stevie Wonder
Favorite female pop artists? Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston
Formal singing training? Yes – Private lessons and voice coaches training at Northwestern University
Other talents? Playing piano
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Continue to perform!
Personal goals? To provide for my family, to be able to support those in need around me and around the world, and to make music I am proud of.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? NAS
Your American idol? Right now, Jennifer Freakin’ Hudson! And of course, my mom.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? Pray.
Most embarrassing moments? Throwing up from food poisoning in NY subway station.
Proudest moment? Making top 24
Your definition of an American Idol? An artist who captures America’s hearts and souls and leaves them wanting more each week. The performer that makes each American wish THEY were on the stage singing too!
Favorite judge and why? While watching – Simon. Because he is devastatingly honest. While performing, hopefully still Simon.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I'm pretty clumsy. I love the movie, "Yentl." (Weird, I know.)
How has this changed your life? I'm now living my dream and am confident that ANYthing is possible with faith and diligence.
Lucky charms? Nope. Well, apparently, my husband at these auditions!
Heroes? My husband for taking risks in life. My mom for living by faith.
Toughest obstacle? Moving to NY a week after 9/11 into a cockroach-infested closet apartment to pursue singing.
Was the audition process fair? Yes.
If you win, who will you thank first? My husband, Chip for his patience, support, encouragement and unchanging love.

SANJAYA MALAKAR
Age: 17
Hometown: Federal Way, WA
Audition City: Seattle
Details: Comes from a family of singers; spent four years in Hawaii performing with the Hawaii Children's Theater. His sister made it to Hollywood with him, but not to the Top 40.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson
Favorite female pop artists? Lauryn Hill, Susan Tedeschi
Formal singing training? Yes.
Other talents? Culinary Arts.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Use the experience to further my career.
Personal goals? To become witty.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? My friends don’t get surprised by my musical choices.
Your American idol? Stevie Wonder.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? No.
Most embarrassing moments? I don’t get embarrassed.
Proudest moment? Making it to the top 24 on American Idol.
Your definition of an American Idol? A role model.
Favorite judge and why? Simon Cowell, 'cause he's brutally honest.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I can independently raise both corners of my upper lip.
How has this changed your life? I'm scared that I'll never be able to walk into a supermarket without someone recognizing me.
Lucky charms? I don't eat sugary cereal.
Heroes? Joseph Paul Recchi Sr. [My Grandpa].
Toughest obstacle? Overcoming shyness.
Was the audition process fair? Yes, grueling but fair.
If you win, who will you thank first? My family.

STEPHANIE EDWARDS
Age: 19
Hometown: Savannah, GA
Audition City: Memphis
Details: Sang at the Apollo Theater when she appeared on "It’s Showtime at the Apollo"; has won every singing contest she has ever entered.
Video link

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Justin Timberlake
Favorite female pop artists? Beyonce Knowles.
Formal singing training? Yes. I worked with a vocal coach for a month.
Other talents? Songwriting and poetry-writing skills.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Go back to college, but pursue singing on the side.
Personal goals? To live a life that I won't regret after I'm in Heaven.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? Robin Thicke.
Your American idol? Fantasia.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? I pray to God, "If it's your will, let it be done."
Most embarrassing moments? When I fell while shooting a Ford commercial at Hollywood Week.
Proudest moment? Winning the title of "Savannah Star" 2005.
Your definition of an American Idol? Someone who is a great singer and relatable to by America!!
Favorite judge and why? Simon Cowell, because he's really nice to me.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I'm pretty goofy and silly!
How has this changed your life? I'm no longer in smalltown Savannah anymore.
Lucky charms? No.
Heroes? My mother and father.
Toughest obstacle? Deciding what to go to college for since I'd rather sing!
Was the audition process fair? Yes. Definitely.
If you win, who will you thank first? God!!

SUNDANCE HEAD
Age: 28
Hometown: Porter, TX
Audition City: Memphis
Details: Is the son of Roy Head, who had a No. 1 song in 1965, "Treat Her Right"; his life has been centered around music; can play five instruments.
Sundance Head

20 Questions
Favorite male pop artists? Vocals - Bono/U2, Roy Head, James Brown, Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin, Roy Orbison, Guitar – Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Page
Favorite female pop artists? Sheryl Crow, Janis Joplin
Formal singing training? No.
Other talents? I play guitar, bass guitar, piano, write songs, and record well on tape.
If you don’t make it on American Idol, what will you do? Keep trying to make it, form a band and hit the road, get funded, record a record.
Personal goals? Make good records and spend time with my family.
What album would your friends be surprised you own? n/a
Your American idol?My dad, Roy Head - the gold record hanging in the hallway of our house gives me the motivation and dream to become successful in the music business.
Any rituals or things you do before you perform? n/a
Most embarrassing moments? One time in a football game in high school I went to the bathroom in my uniform in the middle of the game - they were white pants.
Proudest moment? Watching my son being born - his name is Levi Aron Head - born Nov. 22, 2006.
Your definition of an American idol? Someone who can write, sing, and play their own music.
Favorite judge and why? Simon - he tells the truth with no regret.
What would people be surprised to learn about you? I love to hunt and fish.
How has this changed your life? It has given me the chance to change my life forever.
Lucky charms? Personal.
Heroes? My family.
Toughest obstacle? Growing up after the death of my older brother, who died in a car crash 1/2 mile from my house.
Was the audition process fair? Yes.
If you win, who will you thank first? God.

POSH IDOL?

The UK's Sunday Mail reports that sources say Idol executive producer Simon Fuller wants to replace Paula Abdul with stick-thin former Spice Girl Victoria "Posh" Beckham. But Posh's plan to become a judge on the TV talent show has been scuppered by fellow Brit Simon Cowell, who is refusing to greenlight Posh Spice's arrival on the show.

Allegedly, Fuller has drafted an ambitious publicity plan for Posh when she moves to Los Angeles with husband David - who is to play for the LA Galaxy soccer team - in the summer. Fuller persuaded the Beckhams, who are clients of his and good friends of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, to move the United States.

Sources say the anorexic-looking Victoria, whose clothes frequently display her artifically enhanced chest, hopes a regular slot on a high-profile TV show will increase her profile and lead to other work including movies. One said: " 'American Idol' is a big show and getting on there would be perfect for Victoria but the problem is Simon, who is just not wearing it. He's being loyal to Paula but, more importantly, fears two Brits on the panel will reduce interest in the show and sabotage ratings." The sources also claim that FOX executives are also worried that the arrival of Posh will reduce American viewers' interest in the hit show.

IDOL ALUMNI VIDEOS

First up, Kevin Covais on "The Morning Show With Mike and Juliet," who just can't seem to lose that "Chicken Little" nickname, critiquing, with "Frangela" (that's two women, Frances and Angela), the first Idol Hollywood show. We also learn from Kevin that he's going to be in a teen movie by Lionsgate Films to be released later this year. Kevin, who raps on Paris Bennett's debut album, gives us a sample of his skills. Kevin, The "P" in Princess P must stand for polite, because Paris apparently didn't tell you that you're no Eminem. Stick to Josh Groban.

And though many Idol finalists do get that music career
they're dreaming of, others just wind a working at, well ... Hooters. Apparently, serving up wings is the saucy current career of Season 4 finalist Jessice Sierra. You can see her serving with a smile and a side of singing, here. Click on "Idol Chatter: Jacko Day and the Idol-Turned-Hooters Girl."

CONSTANTINE MAROULIS IS ALIVE AND WELL AND ACTING IN NEW YORK

Our friend Peggy L reports that Season 4 finalist Constantine Maroulis does a bang up job in a new production of "Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris," at the Zipper Theater in Manhattan. "The venue seats 199 offering amazing sightlines, great sound and unusually comfortable seats (most of the seats come straight out of automobiles - a great way to recycle parts of junked cars and buses)," wrote Peggy.

She adds, "Constantine put on a great show ... his theatrical training was quite evident throughout the two-hour performance. He sang, he danced, he laughed and he cried. He moved the audience, as did the other three actors. What a show!" The show runs through this Sunday, Feb. 25th. You can buy tickets here.

Maroulis was interviewed about his new role and the new season of "American Idol" earlier this month on Good Day New York.

e-mail Idol Addict
© 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience