Monday, July 16, 2007

Sanjaya Malakar: A Jew With Tattoos?

The St. Petersburg Times interviewed that most curious of characters, Sanjaya Malakar. Although he never says too much, what he does say can (but is not always) be amusing or intriguing, including that he'd like to get a tattoo for his 18th birthday and that he once practiced Judaism:

For all the energy he exuded on the "American Idol" stage, Sanjaya Malakar sure sounded sleepy during our early-morning phone conversation. ... During our chat with the media-jaded Malakar, we tried to cover new ground. But we couldn't resist throwing in one question about those lionized locks.

What are you tired of talking about?
I'm kind of tired of talking about my hair, but I figure it's inevitable. It's gonna happen, so it doesn't really bother me. But it's just kind of an old subject.

I'll ask you the one obligatory hair question, and then we can move on. What's the one hair-care product that you can't live without?
Water.

Really?
I use hair products if I'm going somewhere nice or something, but for the most part I kind of wet it and let it air-dry. My hair's really low-maintenance. I'm lucky like that.

You're turning 18 on Sept. 10. How will you celebrate?
I kind of want to get a tattoo, but I don't want to get it while I'm on the road because I want to get it from somewhere that's clean, and I want to be sure that it's clean, 'cause I'm not about to have some nasty rash on my body.

What would you get it of, and where would you get it?
I was thinking of on my arm, and my Chinese astrology (sign) is a snake and I love snakes, so I'd get a snake and somehow incorporate a treble clef or some kind of musical symbol and possibly somehow incorporate a Virgo, but I don't know. I haven't really thought about it enough to get it yet.

What was the strangest thing that a fan has sent you?
I think the strangeness comes with what they say in their letters, 'cause there's a lot of people that don't necessarily censor themselves in their letters, and it's kind of interesting to read.

Can you give me an example?
Someone said that when I sing, it's like hot chocolate with a lot of mini marshmallows.

What do you think that means? Is that a compliment that you are a warm beverage?
(Laughs) I don't know. Hot chocolate's yummy, and little mini marshmallows never hurt.

So is the tattoo an effort to get rid of the mini marshmallow image and move to something a little more mature?
No, I think it's, I wouldn't get it somewhere that's really obvious. I'd get it somewhere that I can hide it very easily. It would be more for myself.

If you were a superhero, what would you want your superpower to be?
Psychic abilities.

Why's that?
I think that everyone's psychic, but they just don't listen, and I've kind of gotten to a point where sometimes I can listen to my instinct and be right, and so I like to call myself psychic. … I think it's a cool concept, and so I think it would be really cool to genuinely, actually be psychic.

If someone wrote a biography of you, what would the title be?
"Back When I Was Rich and Jewish."

Are you Jewish?
I was once. My mom was married to a Jewish man, and we celebrated all the holidays and all that. And he was rich.

Did you have a bar mitzvah?
No. They broke up before I turned 13.

A PEEK AT FUTURE IDOLS?

Today travelled up to Massachusetts to take a look at the first day of Idol camp, which featured classes and performances with former finalists Jon Peter Lewis, Carmen Rasmusen and Ace Young, as well as professionals from Idol and the business world. This weekend the kids get a visit from singer Macy Gray. Any future stars there? Could be. Listen to the kid singing with Ace at the end. Watch out Taylor.

Watch video of Day 1 at Idol Camp.

FORGET PARIS

Just how important was Paris Bennett to the Idols Return tour? Apparently not as important as she thinks she is.

The Columbian reports that Bennett announced in June she was leaving the group, which includes former "American Idol" finalists Justin Guarini, Kimberly Caldwell and Anthony Fedorov to pursue a solo career. Because the group was booked at the Clark County Fair in August, Clark County Fair officials offered refunds to anyone who had purchased a ticket for the Aug. 4 show.

"I don't know of anyone who requested a refund," fair director Tom Musser said. "Hey, this is just a fun show and I think people just want to come out and see former Idol contestants. Perhaps if we had lost Justin, things may have been a little different."

*Ahem* Paris.

KIMBERLY CALDWELL BACK TO HER ROOTS?

And speaking of Kimberly Caldwell, Top40-charts.com reports that the Season 2 Idol finalist, who has spent the majority of her post-Idol career on-camera in Hollywood on reality TV shows and as the entertainment correspondent and host for the TV Guide Channel, is in contract negotiations with Nashville Records, Inc.

Pre-Idol, Caldwell was a featured vocalist at the Country Tonite Theater in Branson from 1994 to 1996. She also performed on Ed McMahon's "Star Search" and still holds the record for most wins by a junior vocalist.

The Company's early plans are to have her produced by independent producers Teddy Gentry & Michael Curtis and released this fall or early winter. Larry Pareigis, the man responsible for breaking such acts as Gretchen Wilson, Montgomery Gentry, the Dixie Chicks, and Tracy Lawrence, is anxious to make Kimberly Caldwell another household name.

VIDEO OF THE DAY

Watch video of Blake Lewis goofing around in the studio with Ryan Tedder from One Republic and Steph Jones.



e-mail Idol Addict
© 2007

No comments: